Friday, October 12, 2012

Nerds of the World, Unite!!!

"We have news for the beautiful people. There are more of us than there are of you."-Gilbert, Revenge of the Nerds

Today I met a nice young waitress at Pizza Hut. She had on a necklace with a Mockingjay on it. Many of you may not know what that is but let me, a major nerd, explain. It is a cross breed between a mockingbird and a blue jay made famous by the Hunger Games series. I made a comment that I liked the Mockingjay necklace and the conversation continued from there.

We talked about Star Trek, Hunger Games and other nerdy things like that. She even told me about her wedding next year. May the Fourth to be exact. May the Fourth is the unoffical high, holy day for us Star Wars geeks. May the Fourth be with you, get it? Ha  She told me how the bridesmaids will have Star Wars tunics on at the reception and the guys will have Han Solo-esque costumes as well. She told me that each table there will be named after a planet from the Star Wars universe. All very awesome in my eyes :)

Two things occured to me. The first one is that  this person may soon be a good friend to me. I told her about Comic Con in Austin, which is another nerd Mecca, and all the guests who will be there. The entire Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast, including Wil Wheaton!!! Sorry, my geekness slipped there. I showed her a picture of me dressed as Greedo, the bounty hunter Han Solo killed in the first Star Wars, she even noticed the Darth Vader cut out on my mantle. Yes, I am an admitted nerd...So we exchanged emails, not numbers, because we are true nerds and I walked out of the restaurant smiling.

The second thing that occurred to me is that she found someone who loves all the same things she does and loves her just the way she is. That is the most important thing.  She does not hide her nerdyness, she does not pretend to be something she is not. She is who she is and next May she will be married to someone who loves that. :)

Now I am not saying we should all be Star Wars nerds or Trekkies but we should love who we are and never run from what we love and be more tolerant of people who are not like us or what we think is normal. Accept differences in others, but more importantly, accept yourself. Resistance is Futile, May the Force be with You and Live Long and Prosper!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment